Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Assistant Professor in Biostatistics & Bioinformatics
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Member of the Duke Clinical Research Institute
- Office Location: Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27705
- Office Phone: (919) 668-9680
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Duke University, 2015
Machine learning, predictive modeling, health data science, statistical neuroscience
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 702: Graduate Colloquium
- CEE 780: Internship
- COMPSCI 393: Research Independent Study
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
- ECE 494: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
In the News
- Students Find Interdisciplinary Exploration and Connection in Winter Breakaway Courses (Jan 21, 2021)
- David Carlson: Engineering and Machine Learning for Better Medicine (Jan 9, 2018 | Duke Research Blog)
- David Carlson: Generating Scientific Understanding from Machine Learning (Aug 24, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Jiang, Z; Zheng, T; Bergin, M; Carlson, D, Improving spatial variation of ground-level PM2.5 prediction with contrastive learning from satellite imagery, Science of Remote Sensing, vol 5 (2022), pp. 100052-100052 [10.1016/j.srs.2022.100052] [abs].
- Mague, SD; Talbot, A; Blount, C; Walder-Christensen, KK; Duffney, LJ; Adamson, E; Bey, AL; Ndubuizu, N; Thomas, GE; Hughes, DN; Grossman, Y; Hultman, R; Sinha, S; Fink, AM; Gallagher, NM; Fisher, RL; Jiang, Y-H; Carlson, DE; Dzirasa, K, Brain-wide electrical dynamics encode individual appetitive social behavior., Neuron, vol 110 no. 10 (2022), pp. 1728-1741.e7 [10.1016/j.neuron.2022.02.016] [abs].
- Bey, AL; Walder-Christensen, KK; Goffinet, J; Adamson, E; Lanier, N; Mague, SD; Carlson, D; Dzirasa, K, 6.28 Identifying Networks Underlying Sleep Disruption in Autism Spectrum Disorder Mouse Models, Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol 60 no. 10 (2021), pp. S167-S167 [10.1016/j.jaac.2021.09.101] [abs].
- Dunn, TW; Marshall, JD; Severson, KS; Aldarondo, DE; Hildebrand, DGC; Chettih, SN; Wang, WL; Gellis, AJ; Carlson, DE; Aronov, D; Freiwald, WA; Wang, F; Ölveczky, BP, Geometric deep learning enables 3D kinematic profiling across species and environments., Nat Methods, vol 18 no. 5 (2021), pp. 564-573 [10.1038/s41592-021-01106-6] [abs].
- Zheng, T; Bergin, M; Wang, G; Carlson, D, Local PM2.5 hotspot detector at 300 m resolution: A random forest-convolutional neural network joint model jointly trained on satellite images and meteorology, Remote Sensing, vol 13 no. 7 (2021) [10.3390/rs13071356] [abs].